Foster Parent Program
Licensed foster parents who are eligible and within Basic Health's(BH) income guidelines pay only $17 per month, per licensed foster parent, and may enroll other family members in subsidized Basic Health. They may also apply for Basic Health Plus for their children who are under age 19. This program offers additional benefits for children, and is jointly administered by BH and the Department of Social and Health Services (DSHS).
Licensed foster parents whose income is up to 300% of the federal income guidelines may also be eligible for Basic Health. (See the table below.) Premiums for those who are eligible would be no higher than $100 per licensed foster parent per month.
Number of people in your family
|$0 - $1,861.75||$0 - $2,521.79||$0 - $3,181.82||$0 - $3,841.85||$17.00|
|$1,861.76 - $2,327.17||$2,521.80 - $3,152.20||$3,181.83 - $3,977.24||$3,841.86 - $4,802.27||$50.00|
|$2,327.18 - $2,792.59||$3,152.21 - $3,782.62||$3,977.25 - $4,772.65||$4,802.28 - $5,762.69||$100.00|
Who qualifies for this program?
To be eligible for the Foster Parent program, you must:
- Be a licensed foster parent;
- Be a Washington resident;
- Be a US Citizen or qualified non-citizen;
- Be between 19-64 years old;
- Have gross family income up to 300% of the Federal Income Guidelines;
- Not be eligible for Medicaid or be receiving DSHS medical care services;
- Not be eligible for free or purchased Medicare;
- Not be a full-time student who has received a temporary visa to study in the United States;
- Not be institutionalized at the time of enrollment; and
- Not be enrolled in the Washington Health Program
What do I need to send?
- A completed BH application marked "Foster Parent" on the front page
- Proof of your family's gross income for the last 30 days or complete calendar month
- Proof of your current street address in Washington State
- A copy of your federal income tax return (IRS Form 1040) and all schedules for the most current tax year or verification of non-filing status
- A copy of your current foster parent license
- Once we receive these, we will process your application and notify you if you qualify for the Foster Parent Program
If you have questions, please call us at 1-800-660-9840.